Spring is in the air here in Lawrence and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Scott Temperature team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to correspond with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you return to post information about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Scott Temperature in Lawrence a call at 785-269-0465.