According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have pests or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to contact Scott Temperature in Lawrence about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the pros at Scott Temperature. A yearly checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Inspecting your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clean.
More ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Lawrence home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Scott Temperature at 785-269-0465 or schedule an appointment online.