Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Lawrence, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a big impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be changed. We recommend at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Scott Temperature can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Scott Temperature in Lawrence a call to begin. You can reach us at 785-269-0465 or schedule an appointment with us online.